We used to believe light was a wave, then we discovered it had the properties of a particle that we call a photon. Now we know it, like all elementary quantum objects, is both a wave and a particle!
Quantum Shorts 2019 Flash Fiction Contest (“Contest”)
Contest may be entered in or from any country worldwide. This Contest is governed exclusively by the laws of Singapore.
1. Eligibility. Participation in the Contest is open to individuals worldwide who are age 13 and over as of the date of entry.
Void where prohibited, taxed or restricted by law. Members of the judging panel, employees, officers and directors of the Centre for Quantum Technologies (“Organizer”), Scientific American and Nature, (“Media Partners”), the ARC Centre of Excellence for Engineered Quantum Systems, Institute for Quantum Computing, Institute for Quantum Information and Matter, Qutech and the UK National Quantum Technologies Programme (“Scientific Partners”), and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, advertising and promotion agencies, manufacturers or distributors of Contest materials and their immediate families (parents, children, siblings, spouse) of such individuals/employees/officers/directors are not eligible to enter.
2. How to Enter. To enter, go to shorts.quantumlah.org (“Site”) during the Contest Period (as defined below), read the Official Rules, create an account on the website, and then submit your entry by typing or pasting your short story into the online form and completing the required fields. Only online submissions will be accepted. All entry information and short stories shall be collectively referred to herein as the “Submissions” or each as a “Submission.” Submissions must comply with the Guidelines and Restrictions defined below. Organizer reserves the right to cancel or modify this Contest in the event an insufficient number of entries are received that meet the minimum judging criteria.
By entering, each entrant warrants and represents the following with respect to their Submission: (a) entrant is the sole and exclusive owner and copyright holder of the Submission; (b) the Submission is 100% original and does not contain any third party copyrighted material, brand names or trademarks or any content that otherwise infringes on the privacy, publicity or other intellectual property or other rights of a third party; (c) the Submission is suitable for general audiences (i.e., it may not be obscene or indecent or contain objectionable content, including but not limited to nudity, sexual content, pornography or violent, illegal or profane depictions); (d) the Submission does not contain material that is tortious, defamatory, slanderous or libelous or that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred, harm to any group or individual or discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; (e) by providing a Submission, entrant consents to give a royalty-free, sublicensable, irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive license for the Organizer, the Media Partners, the Scientific Partners and such other partners as may be determined from time to time to use, reproduce, modify, publish, create derivative works from, and display such Submission in whole or in part, on a worldwide basis, and to incorporate it into other works, in any form, media or technology now known or later developed, including any and all Internet media, including the Organizer, the Media Partners, and the Scientific Partners’ web sites and properties and on social networking sites (i.e. Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, etc.); and (f) the Submission complies with all Guidelines and Restrictions (as defined at Section 4 below).
All entrants must have a valid email address. No automated entry devices and/or programs permitted. Receipt of entries will not be acknowledged. Organizer is not responsible for lost, late, illegible, stolen, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, technically corrupted or garbled entries, which will be disqualified, or for problems of any kind whether mechanical, human or electronic. Only fully completed entry forms are eligible. Proof of submission will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Organizer.
3. Start/End Dates. Contest begins at 12.00.01 AM GMT on December 10, 2019 and ends at 11:59:59 PM GMT on February 29, 2020 (“Contest Period”).
4. Submission Guidelines and Content Restrictions: By entering, each entrant agrees that his or her Submission conforms to the Submission Guidelines and Content Restrictions as defined below (collectively, the “Guidelines and Restrictions”) and that Organizer, in its sole discretion, may remove any Submission and disqualify an entrant from the Contest if it believes, in its sole discretion, that the entrant’s Submission fails to conform to the Guidelines and Restrictions.
- The Submission must not exceed 1000 words in length.
- The Submission must be clearly inspired by some aspect of quantum physics.
- The Submission must include the phrase “things used to be so simple” (“Constraint”)
- The Submission must be in English.
- The Submission must be typed or copied and pasted into the entry form at the time of entry.
- The Submission must be 100% original and entrant must be the sole and exclusive owner and copyright holder of the Submission;
- The Submission is eligible after prior publication only if the first publication date was after 1 December 2017;
- The Submission must not contain material that violates or infringes any rights of any other party, including but not limited to copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity or any other intellectual property rights;
- The Submission must be suitable for general audiences;
- The Submission must not in any way disparage Organizer, Media Partners, Scientific Partners, or any other person or party;
- The Submission must not contain material that is inappropriate, indecent, obscene, hateful, tortious, defamatory, slanderous or libelous;
- The Submission must not contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age;
- The Submission must not contain material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations of the United States, Singapore or of any jurisdiction where Submission is created; and
- The Submission cannot promote illegal drugs or firearms (or the use of any of the foregoing), or any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous, or any particular political agenda or message.
Organizer’s decisions are final and binding in all matters relating to this Contest, including, but not limited to, interpretation and application of these Official Rules. By entering the Contest, entrants fully and unconditionally agree to be bound by these rules and the decisions of the judges, which will be final and binding in all matters relating to the Contest. Organizer reserves the right to select fewer than the stated number of prizes if, in its sole discretion, it does not receive a sufficient number of eligible and qualified Submissions.
5. Judging/Judging Criteria. The judging process will take place in stages as follows:
Shortlisting: Representatives of the Organizer and Partners that have the required knowledge and experience to apply the judging criteria will shortlist Submissions. All Submissions will be judged based on the following criteria (“Judging Criteria”): (a) storyline, (b) creative use of Constraint, (c) link to quantum physics, and (d) quality of writing. Subject to verification, eligibility and compliance with these Official Rules, up to ten (10) Submissions will be shortlisted (“Shortlisted Entrants”). Shortlisted Entrants will be notified by the end of April, 2020.
Selection of Prizewinners: A panel of judges selected by the Organizer that have the required knowledge and experience to apply the Judging Criteria will select one (1) winner (“Winner”) and one (1) runner-up (“Runner-Up”) from the Shortlisted Entrants. Subject to verification, eligibility and compliance with these Official Rules, the Winner and Runner-Up will be selected by the judging panel on or about June 2020. In the event that the judges declare a tie with respect to any Winner or Runner-Up position the cash portion of the applicable Prize will be divided equally between entrants who submitted the tied Submissions, and each of the tied entrants will receive a trophy.
Public Voting for People’s Choice Prize: Online public voting on the shortlist begins at 12.00.01 AM GMT on
May 01, 2020 May 04, 2020 and ends at 11:59:59PM GMT on May 15, 2020 May 18, 2020 (the "Voting Period"). Members of the public can go to the Site during the Voting Period to vote for the Submission that best meets the Judging Criteria, as described in these Rules. Voting is limited to one (1) vote per person/authorized account holder during the Voting Period.
Organizer retains the right, at its sole discretion, and without prior notice to entrants, to change or delay the dates of the judging process.
Use by entrants and third parties of personal social media accounts, blogs and websites to direct participants to voting site is permissible. Organizer has the right, in its sole discretion, to maintain the integrity of the Contest, including the right to void votes, including, but not limited to, for the following reasons:
1. Multiple votes from the same user from different IP addresses or from different email addresses; fraudulent entry votes (using a redirect link, a disguised link, a fraudulent link, etc.);
2. Technical malfunction of servers or internet connection;
3. User(s) recanting their own votes;
4. Technical or content upgrades that render votes incompatible or inconsistent;
5. Inappropriate conduct in promoting votes (spam, harassment, etc.);
6. The purchase or exchange of votes domestically or overseas;
7. Payment or other forms of compensation offered in exchange for votes; and
8.Use of third-party websites, online social networking tools, or similar devices primarily designed or intended to generate or trade votes.
The entry that attracts the largest number of public votes during the Voting Period will win an additional ‘People’s Choice’ prize (“People’s Choice Prize,” won by the “People’s Choice Winner”). Odds of winning depend on the number and quality of Submissions received.
6. Prizes. Up to thirteen (13) prizes (each, a “Prize”) will be awarded across the Contest.
- Up to ten (10) stories will be shortlisted. A shortlist award of USD 100, a certificate and a one-year digital subscription to Scientific American will be awarded to each Shortlisted Entrant.
- First prize: USD 1500 and an engraved trophy
- Runner up: USD 1000 and an engraved trophy
- People’s Choice Prize: USD 500 and an engraved trophy
Certificates and trophies will be shipped at no extra charge on provision of a postal address.
Total approximate retail value of all prizes: USD $4,800.
Prize(s) is/are non-transferable. No substitutions. In the case of unavailability of any prize, Organizer reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value. All expenses not specifically listed herein are the responsibility of winner(s). If any winner is considered a minor in his/her jurisdiction of residence, such prize will be delivered to minor’s parent/legal guardian and awarded in the name of parent/legal guardian who must agree in writing to be bound by these Official Rules.
7. Notification. Shortlisted Entrants will be notified by email before the end of April, 2020. Potential Shortlisted Entrants may be required to execute and return an affidavit of eligibility, release of liability, and, except where prohibited, any necessary publicity release(s) (collectively, “Supporting Documents”) by email and certified mail with return receipt requested within five (5) business days of such notification. Noncompliance within this time period will result in disqualification and, at Organizer’s sole discretion, an alternate potential Shortlisted Entrant may be selected from the remaining eligible Submissions. If any potential Shortlisted Entrant cannot be reached, is found to be ineligible, cannot or does not comply with these Official Rules, or if any or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, potential Winner will be disqualified and time permitting, and at Organizer’s sole discretion, an alternate potential Winner may be selected from the remaining eligible Submissions. Upon prize forfeiture, no compensation will be given.
8. Conditions. Organizer shall not be liable or responsible in the event that any winning Submission is not used for any reason. Submissions may be cut, edited, reformatted, rearranged, combined with other materials and/or otherwise modified, in Organizer’s sole and absolute discretion. Any and all federal, state and local taxes are the sole responsibility of the winners. Participation in Contest and/or acceptance of prize constitutes each winner’s permission for Organizer, the Media Partners, and the Scientific Partners, to use his/her name, address (city and state), likeness, photograph, picture, portrait, voice, biographical information, Submission and/or any statements made by each winner regarding the Contest or Organizer for advertising, promotional or editorial purposes without notice or additional compensation, except where prohibited by law. By participating, entrants and winners agree to release and hold harmless Organizer, the Media Partners, and the Scientific Partners, , and their advertising and promotion agencies and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors (collectively, “Released Entities”), from any and all liability, for loss, harm, damage, injury, cost or expense whatsoever including without limitation, property damage, personal injury and/or death which may occur in connection with, preparation for or participation in Contest, or possession, acceptance and/or use or misuse of prize or participation in any Contest-related activity and for any claims based on publicity rights, defamation, invasion of privacy, copyright infringement, trademark infringement or any other intellectual property-related cause of action. Entrants who do not comply with these Official Rules, or attempt to interfere with this Contest in any way shall be disqualified. Organizer is not responsible if Contest cannot take place or if any prize cannot be awarded due to travel cancellations, delays or interruptions due to acts of God, acts of war, natural disasters, weather or acts of terrorism.
9. Additional Terms. Any attempted form of entry other than as set forth in Section 1 above is prohibited; no automatic, programmed; robotic or similar means of entry are permitted. Organizer, its affiliates, partners and promotion and advertising agencies are not responsible for technical, hardware, software, telephone or other communications malfunctions, errors or failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, web site, Internet, or ISP availability, unauthorized human intervention, traffic congestion, incomplete or inaccurate capture of entry information (regardless of cause) or failed, incomplete, garbled, jumbled or delayed computer transmissions which may limit one’s ability to enter the Contest, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer relating to or resulting from participating in this Contest or downloading any materials in this Contest. Organizer reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, extend or suspend this Contest should (in its sole discretion) virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, fraud or other causes beyond its control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the Contest. In such case, Organizer will select the winners from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by Organizer. Organizer reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds, in its sole discretion, to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or web site. Organizer may prohibit an entrant from participating in the Contest or winning a prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines that said entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, hacking, deception, or other unfair playing practices (including the use of automated quick entry programs) or intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other entrants or Organizer representatives.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE ORGANIZER RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
In the event of a dispute as to any Submission, the authorized account holder of the email address used to register or submit content will be deemed to be the entrant and must comply with these Official Rules. The "authorized account holder" is the natural person assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address. Each entrant may be required to show proof of being an authorized account holder.
10. Limitation of Liability; Disclaimer of Warranties. IN NO EVENT WILL THE RELEASED ENTITIES BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE SITE AND/OR ENTRY IN THE CONTEST, DOWNLOADING FROM AND/OR PRINTING MATERIAL DOWNLOADED FROM ANY WEBSITES ASSOCIATED WITH THE CONTEST. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, THIS CONTEST AND ALL PRIZES ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS FOR ANY RESTRICTIONS OR LIMITATIONS REGARDING THESE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS.
11. Use of Data. By participating in the Contest, entrants hereby agree to Organizer’s collection and usage of their personal information for the purpose of the Contest.
12. List of Winners. To obtain a list of winners, send an email by September 1, 2020 to: email@example.com.
13. Organizer. Centre for Quantum Technologies, National University of Singapore, Block S15, 3 Science Drive 2, Singapore 117543.