This is the basic building block of matter that creates the world of chemical elements – although it is made up of more fundamental particles.
Entries to this year's Quantum Shorts will be read by extraordinary physicists, writers and communicators.
The judging panel will decide the contest's top prizes. The shortlisting panel will review all submissions to choose up to ten short stories for the top prizes. We're thrilled to have the people named here be part of this year's festival.
- Alex Winter, director, writer and actor who has worked across film, television and theater
- Honor Harger, Executive Director, ArtScience Museum
- Jamie Lochhead, Director and Executive Producer with Windfall Films
- José Ignacio Latorre, Director of the Centre for Quantum Technologies
- Lindy Orthia, senior lecturer in science communication at the Australian National University, widely published on representations of science in fiction
- Mark Levinson, director and producer
- Andrew Hanson, outreach manager at the UK's National Physical Laboratory
- Ben McAllister, a scientist and science communicator working with the ARC Centre of Excellence for Engineered Quantum Systems
- Dagomir Kaszlikowski, theoretical physicist at the Centre for Quantum Technologies and filmmaker
- David Hutchinson, director of the Dodd-Walls Centre for Photonic and Quantum Technologies, New Zealand
- Jenny Hogan, manages outreach and media relations for the Centre for Quantum Technologies in Singapore
- Jerome Chee, Programmer, Moving Image and Emerging Media, ArtScience Museum
- John Donohue, scientific outreach manager at the Institute for Quantum Computing at the University of Waterloo, Canada
- Joshua Slater, senior researcher at QuTech in the Netherlands woring on quantum cryptography and a sci-fi buff
- Michael Brooks, author, journalist and broadcaster
- Ruth Hardy, Communications and Outreach Officer for the UK Quantum Communications Hub
- Spiros Michalakis, theoretical physicist at the Institute for Quantum Information and Matter, Caltech and scientific advisor for the Ant Man movies
- Yvonne Gao, Principal Investigator at the Centre for Quantum Technologies